Google Analytics

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Final Word on Escabeche


Escabeche is a gift that keeps on giving because the longer it sits, the more depth the dish develops. Flavors mesh and meld and mellow. It's alchemy in its most delicious form.

If I've done my job well, you've learned in the last few nights that escabeche can be made in a variety of ways, but basically it is an oil and vinegar pickling sauce that also seasons and marinades.

You can make it with vegetables, meats, fish, or a combination thereof. Once refrigerated, you can keep for weeks – though it may not last that long...

I've made serving suggestions, but by all means, add it to a sandwich if that makes you happy! Top a bowl of ramen with it! I encourage kitchen anarchy.

Tonight, I share with you recipes that I have gathered from the Web and which I believe have great potential.

I found two interesting red onion escabeche recipes. I cannot tell you which is the authentic Yucatecan version, but I suspect each will make a great and unexpected condiment at any table.



Pickled jalapeños will become a staple in some of your homes once you try it. It will be awesome on Mexican night, but if you enjoy a little heat in your life, this can easily become a side dish to a variety of dishes.



Vegetables in escabeche are great side dishes, served as cold or room temp salads:



Fish loves the pickling sauce and you can top rice or pasta with it for a very quick mid-week dinner.



I love these recipes because the first is a whole meal and the left-overs must be divine, and the second comes from Frida Kahlo (which is really cool):



The meat-lovers also get a few gems (including a couple of recipes from Bobby Flay and one for the crockpot):




These are only a few recipes to get you started, to get you experimenting on your own versions. 


UPDATE: If you enjoyed this article and the recipes in it, you can link to its companion piece, a dedicated Pinterest board you can refer to any time.



No comments:

Post a Comment