Google Analytics

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Homemade Pizza Dough for Electric Grill

We have a George Foreman grill with removable plates. I generally use the grill for steaks and chicken breasts. I also use it as a Panini press. We've also grilled mahi mahi, tuna and salmon steaks as well as shrimp…

The grill comes with plates for omelets, muffins, waffles, and a "baking" one. We have made waffles and muffins. The baking plate, I remember reading in the product’s literature, is perfect for making cookies. I laughed when I read that. I put the plates away and figured I’d test it out someday.

Wish I'd had one of these when I went away to college!
Get your own at 
Amazon.

I was curious about it but there appear to be limited recipes out there for the baking plates.

Of course, I understand. Who wants to bake with an electric grill? But as we live without air conditioner, the thought of being able to quick bake dishes in less than 20 minutes, without heating up the entire kitchen, sounds like a dream!

I haven’t made cookies but I did make Buffalo chicken wings. That was a fun and unexpected treat in mid-July.

What got my curiosity going was pizza. I was watching some cooking show somewhere and they mentioned grilled pizza. So I started looking into it. It took three tests, but we have found a great recipe for the dough that is simple and sturdy enough.

The first test was for the dough alone and its durability. Mom and I discussed it and tweaked over a cup of coffee. Then we did dress rehearsal (two more tests with sauce and toppings).



The sauce, in the two occasions we snacked on pizza this summer, was leftovers from chicken Parmigiana. Both times, I used precooked sausage (two links, thinly sliced), and shredded mozzarella (I did the shredding because there’s no point in paying more for something I can do in less than three minutes).

Before I start preheating the grill (high), I cut out a piece of parchment paper and score the dimensions of the lower plate. While I knead the dough inside the bowl, I use the parchment to make sure I roll out or expand the dough to fit perfectly on the bottom plate.

I use a few tablespoons of sauce; it depends on how thick it is, and spread it on the dough, leaving about ¼” border. Then I top it with about a cup of Mozzarella and the sausage.

By the time I’ve assembled it, the grill is properly heated. I use the parchment paper to transport the tiny pizza – which is square, so technically a Sicilian – and place it in the plate, close the grill, and leave it for approximately 15 minutes (also on high). Then I use the parchment paper to transport to a serving plate and cut it into two servings.

I should use less cheese, because there has been a little spillage and minor cleanup; but the dough itself holds up nicely and can be folded like a proper pizza slice. I suppose it is closer to a thinner, crispier focaccia.

Our plan is to try other varieties of pizza. 



For those interested in homemade pizza, here's a good read from Serious Eats.





No comments:

Post a Comment